Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving

At this time of year, I am so thankful for all of my friends and family. I'm also thankful that I love to cook and that I am hopefully helping someone out there figure out what they are 'gonna do for dinner'! This is a busy week for most people and they tend to do quick dinners or eat out. I am going to focus this post on what to do to prepare for the big day and what to do after with all of the leftovers.
I try to do my shopping for the Thanksgiving meal at a time when I wont get frustrated by long lines. I try to be at Costco the second that they open, or at Food Maxx or Raleys at 6am when everyone else isn't shopping. It may be a pain to get up earlier, but well worth it when you can actually think and shop at the same time. Of course I check the Raley's ad to see what I will get there and then I get the rest at Costco or Food Maxx. Of course I have detailed lists of what to get where and that takes planning ahead. I also try to have extra stuff on hand in case we end up with an extra family or if someone doesn't make it at the last minute and I need to replace what they were supposed to bring.
I always do my prep work on Tuesday and Wednesday so that my Thursday is as relaxing as possible. Tuesday is my appetizer day. I can do these things in the evening - especially if I plan a quick dinner. Cheeses can be sliced, veggies cut, dips made, bread sliced ect. Anything that can sit for a day or so can be prepared. I get my serving platters out and find somewhere to store them, and figure out what food will go on what. Appetizers are under control now!
Wednesday is for pie baking and dinner prep. I love the way my house smells on this day!! While the pies are in the oven, usually pumpkin, apple, and pecan, I get dinner stuff ready. I chop my celery and onions for my stuffing and cook the sausage for it also. I cube my banana squash and clean the green beans. If I am making green beans and bacon, the bacon and onions can be made ahead too. I also chop whatever veggies would be good in a salad. Ziplock bags are a lifesaver on this day! On this day I get out the extra serving platters, silverware, and dinner plates that I will need. I usually do festive paper plates for dessert and appetizers.

Leftovers are the best part of Thanksgiving!!!! That night, start the turkey soup. Right after you finish getting the meat off of the turkey carcass - get it in the pot of water! Go back to the blog with the chicken soup recipe and go for it! Turkey enchiladas are great and that recipe is in a former blog too. Turkey divan is a yummy treat also and super easy to make, so is turkey pot pie.
Turkey divan: there are 2 ways to make this, every step is the same - it's just the sauce that is different. First steam some broccoli and carrots until almost tender. Put them in a casserole dish - they should fill it up half way. Then cover the veggies with chopped turkey, then sauce. Bake for about 45 minutes at 350 and serve over rice. Now for the sauces.
Sauce #1 Mix a can of cream of chicken soup with 1 cup of mayonaise and 1 teaspoon of curry powder. Mix all together and put over turkey.
Sauce #2 Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan, add 1/4 cup of flour and stir right away until it makes a paste. Add about 2 and 1/2 cups of milk (or cream) and keep it at medium heat. Use a wire wisk and stir always until it gets thick. While stiring add salt, pepper, and garlic salt. As it starts to get thick, add a 1/2 cup of white wine and keep stiring until it gets thick again. When thick, add 1/2 cup of shredded parmesean cheese and stir. Pour over turkey, sprinkle a little parmesean cheese on top and bake.

Turkey pot pie is easy and super good! Start by choosing your veggies. Some suggestions are carrots, broccoli, frozen peas, potatoes or any of your other favorites. My family doesn't like the potatoes in it, but loves the broccoli.
Use your biggest pie plate and put one pie crust down in it. Mix together 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, 1 cup of cubed turkey, 1 cup of steamed broccoli, 1 cup of steamed carrots and 1/2 cup of frozen peas. The veggies should be in pretty small pieces. Mix it together with salt and pepper and pour into pie dish. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheddar cheese on top and a tablespoon of flour and then put the other pie crust on top. Cut some small slits in the top pie crust. Pinch the sides togethet so nothing leaks out. Bake for about 30 minutes on a cookie sheet so you don't have a mess in your oven.

I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment